The Overview tab on the main panel shows a general overview of the information available for the gene.
- Gene Name - The gene name for which the data has been curated in COSMIC. In most cases this is the accepted HGNC identifier.
- Gene Id - Unique identifier for this gene in COSMIC.
- Synonymns - All the HUGO synonyms related to this gene.
- Drug Sensitivity Data - A list of drugs associated with mutations in this gene
- Mouse Mutatgenesis Data - Links to a table of mouse insertional mutagenesis data from the CCGD (Candidate Cancer Gene Database).
Genomic regions are listed where clusters of insertional events (Common Insertion Sites, CIS) have driven the progression of cancer in mouse models (Ranzani et al; 2013). The table columns are - 1. Insertionsal Cluster (CIS) - The genome location of transposon common insertion site (CIS); chromosome:start-end 2. Effect - description of the effect, or 'not determined' 3. Tissue - the tissue/disease classification 4. Pubmed - Reference ID, links to the Pubmed website
- No. of samples - Total number of unique samples screened and samples with mutations.
The COSMIC Genome Browser is shown in a panel below the main tabs (visible from all). The browser is embedded - for a full screen view with easier navigation click the 'Full-screen view' link in the top right corner.
Gene Overview - Sequence
This tab provides the cDNA, Protein and alignment between the cDNA transcript and translated protein sequence for the current gene in a new pop up window.
Gene Overview - Fusions
If the selected gene is involved in fusions with another gene, and if it has been curated in the COSMIC database, this section lists the names of the fused genes. Click a gene name to link to the Fusion Overview page for that gene pair. The number of mutations found, and the number of samples analyed are displayed in brackets alongside the gene name.
Gene Overview - Studies
This section details largely unpublished studies that have involved this gene (eg downloaded consortium data). It links to the Study Overview page listing all details from the selected study including samples and genes analysed.
Gene Overview - References
This table lists all curated publications reporting this gene. More details of the paper can be found by following the ‘COSMIC link’ or ‘Pubmed Link’. This table also provides the ability to search, sort and export the table in csv and tsv format.
- Reference Title - The title of the article, mouse over the title to see the full article title name.
- Author – First author (s) of the publication, to see all authors of the publication please click COSMIC or Pubmed link.
- Year - The publication year of the journal from which the article was taken.
- Journal - An abbreviated title of the journal the article was sourced from, followed by volume and page number.
- Status – There are currently three statuses:
- Curated : The reference has been fully curated in to COSMIC.
- Listed : The reference have been read, but the data has not been entered into COSMIC for one of many reasons.
- Reviews : These references are reviews of mutation data from other references. They are not entered into COSMIC as the data has generally been entered via the original papers.
- COSMIC – Links to the more detailed page of reference listing all details from the selected publication including samples and gene analysed with or without mutation.
- Pubmed - Links to Pubmed for more details on this publication.
Gene Overview - Census (Search)
This tab shows gene search results when no exact match was found (or when the "All Matches" option is selected) when searching by 'Gene' from the COSMIC home page. This section contains known cancer genes, with and without mutations, from the Cancer Gene Census that have been included in COSMIC. This table also provides the ability to search and export the table in csv or tsv format.
Gene Overview - Mutated Genes (Search)
This tab shows gene search results when no exact match was found (or when the "All Matches" option is selected) when searching by 'Gene' from the COSMIC home page. The listed genes are not in the Cancer Gene Census, but have mutations. This table also provides the ability to search, sort and export the table in csv and tsv format.
Gene Overview - No Mutations (Search)
This tab shows gene search results when no exact match was found (or when the "All Matches" option is selected) when searching by 'Gene' from the COSMIC home page. The listed genes are not in the Cancer Gene Census and do not have mutations. This table also provides the ability to search, sort and export the table in csv and tsv format.
- Cancer Browser::Overview
- Genes::Top genes
- Genes::Genes with Mutations
- Genes::Genes without Mutations
- Mutation Matrix
- Variants::CNV & Expression
- Samples::Mutant Samples
- Samples::Non-Mutant Samples
- Cancer Gene Census
- CNV Overview
- CNV ChromoView
- CNV & Expr Details
- Gene View
- Genome Browser
- Drug Resistance::Genes
- Drug Resistance::Mutations
- Variants::CNV & Expr
- Drug Resistance::Mutation Details
- Gene::Mutation Details
- Methylation Details
- Variants::Non-Coding Mutation
- Variants::CNV & Expression
- Mutation Spectrum
- Sequence Context
- Non-Mutant Genes
- Downloading Data
- Legacy Downloads